Thursday, February 25, 2010

Finish

Hello men, the outline from Thursday's Power Lunch is copied below. Many men start well but very few finish well. This message was to encourage us all to finish the life we have received with faith, energy, purpose, joy, godliness,etc We should not just retire or settle for mediocrity in our faith and lives. Hope you find encouragement to stay strong and keep growing.

God bless, Billy

REAL Men Bible Study

Finish!

2/25/10

I. It is not how you start; it is how you Finish!

A. Seduced by false teachers

Galatians 5: 7 You were running a good race. Who cut in on you and kept you from obeying the truth?

B. Seduced by the world

1 John 2: 15 Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. 16 For everything in the world--the cravings of sinful man, the lust of his eyes and the boasting of what he has and does--comes not from the Father but from the world. 17 The world and its desires pass away, but the man who does the will of God lives forever.

C. Seduced into spiritual smugness

Revelations 3: 15 I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! 16 So, because you are lukewarm--neither hot nor cold--I am about to spit you out of my mouth. 17 You say, 'I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.' But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked. 18 I counsel you to buy from me gold refined in the fire, so you can become rich; and white clothes to wear, so you can cover your shameful nakedness; and salve to put on your eyes, so you can see.

D. Seduced by group think/religiosity/churchiness

1 Peter 4: 17 For it is time for judgment to begin with the family of God; and if it begins with us, what will the outcome be for those who do not obey the gospel of God? 18 And, "If it is hard for the righteous to be saved, what will become of the ungodly and the sinner?" 19 So then, those who suffer according to God's will should commit themselves to their faithful Creator and continue to do good.

II. Stay the Course!

Hebrews 10: 23 Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful.

Revelation 2: 10 Do not be afraid of what you are about to suffer. I tell you, the devil will put some of you in prison to test you, and you will suffer persecution for ten days. Be faithful, even to the point of death, and I will give you the crown of life.

III. Two Major Theological Positions

Ø Calvinism – once saved; always saved

Ø Arminianism – can lose salvation

Even these two diametric theologies agree about the end of life

A. Faithful at time of death – both agree that you are saved

B. Unfaithful at time of death – Calvinism will say you were never saved; Arminianism will say that you were but lost your salvation. Both agree that you will not be saved in this condition.

IV. Check out the Apostle Paul

1 Corinthians 9: 24 Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. 25 Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. 26 Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. 27 No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.

He finished strong with full assurance of his salvation!

2 Timothy 4: 7 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. 8 Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day--and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing.

SO CAN WE!

No comments:

Post a Comment