Thursday, June 24, 2010

Breaking strongholds

I was reading this today and thought that it was worth sharing:

Removing Hindrances

"But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love. We love because he first loved us" (1 John 4:18-19).

I was in another country and had just completed a teaching on how spiritual strongholds (2 Cor 10:4) can hinder us from fulfilling our destinies. A woman approached me at the end of the meeting and asked me if I could join her and her friend for lunch so that she could learn more. I just happened to be available, so I agree to join them. I noticed the woman was slightly overweight and exhibited extremely high energy and was aggressive.

Before she began asking me questions I asked her to tell me about her relationship she had with her father. "Why in the world would you ask me such a question? What does that have to do with spiritual strongholds?" I pressed her for the answer to my question.

"I have an awful relationship with my father. He says I'm fat and that I'll never amount to anything." I responded gently to her statement: "Jennifer, you have a generational stronghold of rejection. You try to mask it by trying to be successful in business. Your aggressive nature is rooted in a fear of failure because you've lived your whole life trying to win the approval of your father through performance. I want you to know you are totally loved and accepted by your Heavenly Father. You can stop trying to win his favor."

Immediately, she began to weep in the middle of the restaurant. Her friend was intrigued by what was I was saying. "No one has ever told me this but what you say is true." We prayed for God to destroy the stronghold of fear and rejection in her life through the blood of Jesus Christ.

She walked out of the restaurant that day with a new sense of love and acceptance.

No comments:

Post a Comment