Friday, September 4, 2009

Timeless Truths

Hello men, the following is an outline of a lesson I taught on Thursday at the men's Bible studies. I was asked to post these notes so you could read them and reflect on them. Enjoy, be blessed and be a blessing!
God bless, Billy

Timeless Truths 1 Cor 8-12

9/3/09

1. Liberty must not be abused

1 Cor 8: 1 Now about food sacrificed to idols: We know that we all possess knowledge. Knowledge puffs up, but love builds up. 2 The man who thinks he knows something does not yet know as he ought to know. 3 But the man who loves God is known by God.

11 So this weak brother, for whom Christ died, is destroyed by your knowledge. 12 When you sin against your brothers in this way and wound their weak conscience, you sin against Christ.

2. The strong adapt to the weak

1 Cor 9: 19 Though I am free and belong to no man, I make myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. 20 To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. 21 To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God's law but am under Christ's law), so as to win those not having the law. 22 To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some. 23 I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings.

3. Live a Purposeful Life on purpose

1 Cor 9: 24 Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. 25 Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. 26 Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. 27 No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.

4. Avoid spiritual smugness

Ø Warns us to avoid Israel’s mistakes

1 Cor 10: 11 These things happened to them as examples and were written down as warnings for us, on whom the fulfillment of the ages has come. 12 So, if you think you are standing firm, be careful that you don't fall!

5. Strive for Unity in the faith

1 Cor 11: 17 In the following directives I have no praise for you, for your meetings do more harm than good. 18 In the first place, I hear that when you come together as a church, there are divisions among you, and to some extent I believe it.

6. Spiritual Gifts are for God’s glory and the common good

1 Cor 12:24 ….But God has combined the members of the body and has given greater honor to the parts that lacked it, 25 so that there should be no division in the body, but that its parts should have equal concern for each other. 26 If one part suffers, every part suffers with it; if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it.

1 comment:

  1. Now that you got your feet wet we expect more posts Billy. You are such an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete